Mike finished a book in 8 weeks…insanely fast. He also started very quickly, having come up with the idea only a week before *actually* starting. Yikes.
In this convo, Mike tells the story of starting his career in IT, practicing entrepreneurship & creativity through various side projects and businesses, and the step by step process of publishing his new book.
“[Moments of creative clarity] were probably happening throughout my life but I didn’t notice them, or I was too scared to act on them” – Mike Emery
Some of the highlights of our conversation include:
- pursuing “too many” passions vs becoming a world-class expert at one thing
- the stages of developing, testing, and marketing his book (which includes quotes, a daily challenge, and a design to colour)
- how meditation helped him find clarity and develop new ideas
- how he used testing to meet his fiancé on Tinder
- a challenge to improve your meditation practice
Here’s what I learned from this episode:
- it’s possible to produce a book in an insanely short time frame, for very cheap
- it’s ok to pursue multiple disparate passions (Mike’s done IT, DJing, started a CrossFit box, and now a colouring/personal development book)
- meditation can be a powerful tool for creativity